Excited for the movie? Here are 10 facts about Deadpool to prepare you for the upcoming film. (Source: Moviepilot.com)
1) When Deadpool was first developed, the similarities to DC’s Deathstroke were so uncanny that they decided to name him Wade Wilson as a joke. Deathstroke’s name is Slade Wilson.2) He was first introduced into the comic New Mutants #98 as a Villain. He was never meant to become the character he is today.
3) Wade Wilson gave himself the name Deadpool. He joined the Weapon-X project to obtain the healing factor in an effort to cure his cancer; the treatment not only advanced his cancer but the healing factor meant he wouldn’t die from it. Moved into a Workshop, where he and other failed government test subjects were tortured and experimented on, the “Dead Pool” was a betting pool run between the inmates. Wade was given survival odds of 1000 to 1. He beat the odds.
4) Wade Wilson’s childhood hero was Captain America. Because of this, and due to a bond formed through them both being Government experiments, Steve Rogers is one of the only Marvel characters to treat Deadpool with respect.
5) The most persistent bromance in comic book history exists in Deadpool’s unfailing pursuit to make Spider-Man his best friend.
6) He can not only survive through nuclear explosions, re-emerge after being burnt to ash, and survive beheading; He also regularly donates internal organs to those in need, which immediately regenerate.
7) Deadpool has a whipping boy/sidekick named Weasel, a spastic and neurotic Arms Dealer.
8) Deadpool was surprisingly married many times before finally settling down with the runaway fiancé of Dracula, Princess of the underworld. At one point he even had a romantic affiliation with Black Widow, Yelena Belova.
9) Raised by an abusive military father after his mother died of cancer, he fell into the wrong crowd where eventually a friend of his disarmed his father and killed him.
10) While generally considered to be a “morally flexible” individual with a taste for blood; Deadpool has a soft spot for children, animals and those in need.